Hi, I'm Jenny. Thanks for stopping by my site! While living in Japan for over a decade, I developed a passion for the rugged countryside.
I've only hiked a few of the famous areas, such as Hakone and Mt Fuji, Mt. Bandai, Shirakami Sanchi (which was registered as a World Heritage Site at
the same time as Yakushima), but I have hiked many lesser-known mountains around Gifu and beyond.
When I first visited Yakushima in 2010 I knew this island was special. I've since hiked over sixty peaks in Yakushima and it's hard to imagine a more fulfilling lifestyle than guiding folks through the
mountains and sharing Yakushima's forest wonders. I think you'll find--as I have--that the local
guides are an exceptionally warm and welcoming collection of people.
- 1980 Born in Florida, USA.
- 2003 Graduated from MIT with a degree in Physics with Electrical Engineering.
Moved to Japan.
- 2010 Graduated from Tsukuba University with a masters in Sports Science, focus in Coaching Kendo.
- 2009-2011 Work at Gifu University, including research on dehydration in athletics.
- 2012 Designed an manufactured a limited number of coil pickups for violin.
- 2012 Moved to Yakushima and began training and working as a hiking guide.
- 2013 Joined Yakushima Guide Tour company.
- 2014 Registered Yakushima Life, my private guide business.
- 2015 Kendo 5-dan.
- Food Hygiene Supervisor Certification, Kagoshima Food Hygiene Association (January 2013)
- First Aid Training and Basic First Aid Course, Japanese Red Cross (January, 2014)
- Basic Life-Saving I Course (CPR), Kumage Fire Department (February, 2015; December 2015; February 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Japanese Mountain Guide Association, Mountain Guide Stage I (日本山岳ガイド協会) (February, 2015; Review: 2016, 2018)
- Wilderness First Aid Wilderness Medical Associates (Basic Course: March, 2015; Advanced Course: March, 2016; Review: March, 2017, March, 2018)
- Yakushima Guide Seminar, Council for the Promotion of Yakushima Ecotourism (January, 2016)
- Amateur Fourth-Class Radio Operator, Japan Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications (February 2016)
- Yakushima Certified Guide (屋久島町公認ガイド), Town of Yakushima (March 31, 2016~)
- Yakushima Tourism Association Member (屋久島観光協会) (Octocber 2014~)