Split the long hike to Jomon Sugi into two days, and relish the forest to your heart's content!
to Book This Hike!
|Time: ~34 Hours|
|Includes: Lunch X 2, Dinner x 1, Breakfast X 1|
|Strength & Technicality||⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠|
|Weather Cancellations||⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠ (Extreme rains, etc.)|
Price per hiker:
|1 hiker: ¥40000 + ¥2000*park donation + ~¥2600*bus/taxi fare|
|2 hikers: ¥30000 + ¥2000*park donation + ~¥2200*bus/taxi fare|
|3~4 hikers: ¥25000 + ¥2000*park donation+ ~¥2000*bus/taxi fare|
|*The town of Yakushima recommends a voluntary donation of ¥2000.|
|*Bus/taxi fares depend on accommodation location and hiking course details.|
|*When hiking with others, please stay with the group.|
- Accident insurance
- Free hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Lunch X 2, Dinner, Breakfast
What to Pack
- Big enough to stash all of your gear and lunch. A rain-cover is also nice, but please don't rely on it to keep your things dry! Alternatively, you can keep your things inside a plastic bag inside your backpack.
- Rain Gear*
- Including pants a jacket. A cheap poncho or light "water-resistant" coated material is NOT okay!
- Appropriate Clothes
- Quick drying synthetic materials are advised. No jean pants, please. Warm layered clothes especially in fall and winter.
- Hiking Shoes or Boots*
- Water Bottle
- A 500mL plastic PET bottle is fine. There's plenty of natural, potable water along the trail.
- Head Lamp
- Check your batteries, please!
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat
- Spare Clothes
- In case of rain or cool weather. It's a really good idea to pack your things inside a big waterproof/plastic/vinyl bag INSIDE of your backpack.
- Disposable Toilet Pack
- You can get buy one or get one from me. Someone has to carry your crap down from the mountains, so it might as well be you!
- Gloves, towel, personal items and medications, snacks for the trail, camera and ziploc bag, folding umbrella for eating or taking photos.
- You probably won't need sunscreen unless you are very sensitive. Bugs don't tend to be enough of a problem to warrant bug repellent, but please don't wear perfume. There are no bears in Yakushima.
Please do not wear jean pants. They are most unpleasant in the rain.
About this hike:
Hike at a leisurely pace up to the famed Jomon Sugi tree and enjoy the company of this mysteriously large tree long after the day-hikers have left. We'll stay at the hut (or pitch a tent just outside the hut) 200 meters beyond Jomon Sugi so you can catch the morning's first rays through the mist in the forest full of old Yakusugi trees.
Depending on your preferences and the weather, we can start and/or finish the route at the Arakawa Trail Head (easier walking) or at Shiratani Unsuikyo Park (beautiful scenery) and follow the routes listed for the day hikes. Please see these routes for details.