Hike from over Miyanoura Dake, Kyushu's highest peak on the first day, camp overnight, and climb down past the old tree called Jomon Sugi on the second day. Finish at either Shiratani Unsuikyo or the Arakawa Trail Head.
to Book This Hike!
|Time: ~34 Hours|
|Includes: Boxed bento-lunch with a hot beverage|
|Strength & Technicality||⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠|
|Weather Cancellations||⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠ (Road closures, heavy snow, extreme winds, etc.)|
Price per hiker:
|1 hiker: ¥36000 + ¥2500*park donation + ~¥8400*taxi/bus fare|
|2 hikers: ¥30000 + ¥2500*park donation + ~¥5000*taxi/bus fare|
|3~4 hikers: (¥25000 + ¥2500*park donation) + ~¥4000*taxi/bus fare|
|*The town of Yakushima recommends a voluntary donation of ¥2500.|
|*Bus/taxi fares depend on accommodation location.|
|*Suggested toilet donation: 500 yen.|
|*When hiking with others, please stay with the group.|
- Accident insurance
- Free hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Lunch X 2, Dinner, Breakfast
What to Pack
- Big enough to stash all of your gear and lunch. Even if your pack has a rain cover, I strongly advise keeping your things inside a plastic bag inside your backpack.
- Rain Gear*
- Including waterproof, brathable pants a jacket. A cheap poncho or light "water-resistant" coated material is NOT okay! No matter what you wear, there is a descent chance of being soaked through from head to toe.
- Appropriate Clothes
- Long pants, but no jean pants, please. Warm layered clothes especially in fall and winter.
- Hiking Shoes or Boots*
- Water Bottle
- A 1L plastic PET bottle is usually fine. There's plenty of natural, potable water along the trail.
- Head Lamp
- Check your batteries, please!
- Sleeping bag*
- Sleeping mat*
- Spare Clothes
- In case of rain or cool weather. It's a really good idea to pack your things inside a big waterproof/plastic/vinyl bag INSIDE of your backpack.
- Disposable Toilet Pack*
- You can get buy one or get one from me. Someone has to carry your crap down from the mountains, so it might as well be you!
- Gloves, towel, personal items and medications, snacks for the trail, camera and ziploc bag, folding umbrella for eating or taking photos, sunscreen.
- Bugs don't tend to be enough of a problem to warrant bug repellent, but please don't wear perfume. There are no bears in Yakushima.
Please do not wear jean pants. They are most unpleasant in the rain.
About this hike:
This hike packs a huge variety of terrain into 25 kilometers and two days. This hike takes you through the sub-alpine interior mountains, up to Kyushu's tallest peak, through the sea of bamboo grass and boulders, down a forest of ancient Yakusugi trees, and out of the valley of the Moss Forest.
The first day is about a 9-hour hike, so I suggest packing a breakfast to eat at the trail head. Typically, I plan to reach the hut and set up camp before dark. The second day is slightly shorter, but I also recommend an early start to avoid crowds.
In the case of bad weather
This hike will be canceled if a severe weather warning is issued, heavy snow is likely, the roads are dangerously icy, or if clients are obviously not prepared for the elements, in which case we can try to hike this course in the opposite direction or do a suitable one day hike depending on the weather. If Shiratani Unsuikyo is flooded, we can use the Arakawa Trail Head.